History

On January 24, 1923, the Champaign School Board signed a contract with the architectural firm Ramey and Burgen to build a new school at the corner of Pine and John streets in what was then southwest Champaign. The building was opened on October 9, 1924, and was considered so far on the outskirts of town that newspaper articles announcing the open house printed directions to find the school. South Side was open most of the 1900s, then closed in June 1982. It reopened in August 1989, and today it is a model school for family involvement and high curricular expectations.

RENOVATION PROJECT
With the passage of the $183.4 million referendum in November 2016, South Side is now undergoing an exciting renovation project including an addition, modernization of classrooms and common spaces, updating infrastructure and making the school more
accessible. The renovation is scheduled to be complete in August 2020.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.